Sunday, July 26, 2009

Expertise? Sources, please!

One of the things I've been asked to consider in my current class is my view of expertise on the Web, and how it compares with how I consider expertise in face-to-face environments. A few things in particular come to mind:
  • As an undergrad, I majored in English, and have a bit of an obsession with writing. Now it's true, I miss a comma here and there, but I also have a sense of pride in constructing an effective sentence. With this in mind, I have to remember that good writing does not mean someone is necessarily an expert on their shared subject matter. In face-to-face settings, I have to remember not to equate effective public speaking or proper elocution with expertise. (Note to self: There are plenty of polished idiots in the world, both on the Web and in f2f situations.)
  • Expertise takes different forms. There are classic bibliographies and reference lists, but I also believe that a person's experience can be a type of expertise. I have a great deal of experience using synchronous eLearning platforms that I have acquired over the past ten years, and this has enabled me to mentor others. This, in my book, equates to expertise. Going back to bibliographies and reference lists, I think there are undending opportunities for individuals to misuse credible sources, in both web and f2f settings.
  • Now more than ever, I will look at a person's source material when referenced; I'll ask for a source if one is not cited. It's important to me not to perpetuate misinformation - if I pass along information that I have not personally verified, I share my source along with it so that others can look it up if they desire.

How do you verify information you receive? Or do you? As always, interested in your thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. I agree Alisa that experience does equate with expertise - at least to a point. I am quite a fan of synchronous online learning and have enjoyed reading about your perspective on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely relate with the idea that you should not link one's written or even spoken speech with their expertise. In a tradesmen field, woodworking, I come across many full-fledge experts who couldn't construct a complete sentence to save their lives. Nothing like seeing the word "partical" (particle) a dozen times a day to bring the point home to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alisa -
    I am also guilty of linking writing and speaking abilities to expertise. Foreign accents and thick Southern accents were difficult for me to move past. After listening to NPR on a daily basis, working with people from other countries and being in this program, I think I have overcome it.
    In some areas, experience can better prepare someone for the job over education. A college degree or 5 years in the profession can provide similar preparation.

    ReplyDelete