Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Really, corporate America, get with the times!

I am looking at this month's issue of Training magazine. On page 12, they've featured the results of the poll, "Is your organization using Web 2.0 technologies?"

All the time - 9%
Experimenting with them - 44%
Not yet, but formal plans are underway - 16%
No, we are not permitted - 31%

It's a good thing for corporations jobs are more challenging to find right now. If it were an employee's market, I think it would be important for these numbers to change in order to attract young talent. Even worse, 46% of attendees at Training 2009 Conference and Expo indicated they do NOT have accounts on any of the major social networks. All I can say is, "Yikes, people, get with the program!" Sure, Web 2.0 doesn't solve all performance issues - not even close. But it can make work a little more fun while you tackle those issues, right?

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could say I'm surprised by the 31% "Not Permitted" statistic. The concern seems to be twofold. Network security and productivity. Management's perception of Web 2.0 may be that it will reduce productivity because employees will be engaged in playing around with Web 2.0 tools versus doing their work.

    An interesting twist to this is my wife's company recently threw open the window to Web 2.0 for their employees, removing the firewalls that kept them accessing Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, and Twitter. My guess is they're going to track how employees use these platforms and what their purpose is. I also expect someone will be silly enough to complain about their supervisor, release proprietary information, or some other indiscretion, landing them in trouble. I say this based on an assumption that the company would argue the employee used the company network as a vehicle for the activity... More work for the lawyers!

    ReplyDelete